"I Have a Test Coming Up But I Don't Want to Study" Pie

    A couple weeks ago, with yet another exam on the horizon, it occurred to me to - GASP - take some time for myself! So I rented a movie - The Waitress, which I had been wanting to watch for some time but never had the guts to ask if the MCV Library could get movies from the the other campus...And because I know myself, I also knew that I'd have to make a pie before I watched the movie because I'd be drooling after the credits and that would lead to a monstrous craving which is never a good thing to let fester, right?


    I

    So yum yum - apple pie. Here's the recipe:

    For the Topping:


    Just make a simple crumble topping with a few tablespoons of softened butter, 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup rolled oats, some almond extract, and a sprinkling of nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.

    Cut and chop/slice the apples. I like to do both for a little difference in texture. Then toss them in a little lemon juice, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Set aside.

    Now, here's my little secret. I like gooey filling on my apple pie so I borrowed the following set of directions from my recipe for strawberry-rhubarb cobbler. I figured if it made a tasty concoction for the cake, then I could tweak it and use it for my pie. In a saucepan, warm up about a cup of water. In a bowl mix 1/3 cup white sugar and 2 or 3 Tbs cornstarch until they are thoroughly incorporated. Add the apples to the water and cook until they are slightly softened. Add the sugar mixture and a couple teaspoons brown sugar and some vanilla. Watch as a delicious filling forms right in from of your eyes!


    Pour into a pie shell, cover with the topping, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about a 1/2 hour.




    Shout out to Roslyn for peeling the apples in her own special-amazing way. I'm glad we finally got to make something together :)





Total Pageviews