Ghanaian Hash

    Word cannot describe the party in my mouth when my roommate, Roslyn, made a delicious Ghanian stew for us a while back. Oh-my-gosh it was soooo good. I have been meaning to write about it for weeks, but I wanted to give this post extra time and attention. It was amazing to watch as she took ingredients that to her were so familiar yet so foreign to me, and concocted something unlike anything I'd ever had before.

    With some help from her, I was able to recall the recipe. Here's how you too, can replicate this wonderful dinner.

    What you need:

    seasoned salt
    garlic powder
    a bay leaf
    onions
    1 can of crushed tomatoes
    1 can of corned beef hash
    curry powder
    ground nutmeg
    cayenne pepper
    a few eggs



    What to do:

    Put the tomatoes and the onion in a blender, add some water, and blend into a thick mixture. Pour into a pot which has a little bit of oil at the bottom. Still and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the spices and hash and cook for another 5-10 minutes. You use about a sprinkling of each spice - once around the pot, but you can adjust according to your preference. At the very end of the cooking process, add a few beater eggs to the mixture and break them up with a fork as they scramble. The idea here is to create a homogenous hash without too many lumps.















    The first thing that surprised me was the spice factor and the way her spice mixture really complimented the plantains. You HAVE to eat this dish with plantains, nothing else will do. All you do is wait until they ripen and then boil them until they are cooked through. Don't be impatient like me, though, and let them cool a bit before eating :)




Total Pageviews