Plantains Done Right



    This weekend I was able to make fried plantains with Weston's mom. She showed me the Cuban way to do it - I found the method really simple and fun, so I hope I can try it myself sometime soon.


    First, you need really green plantains - take off the skin and cut them in about 1/2 inch thick pieces. Keep them in water until ready to fry (but be sure to dry them off before frying so the oil won't spit in your face).


    Heat about a 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan until it's hot. Take the pieces of plantains and put them in the oil. Fry until they get a good brown color on either side, then take them out and place onto a brown paper bag.


    Using another paper bag on top, flatten the pieces until they are pretty thin.


    Place immediately back into the oil and continue frying until they are crisp. Take them out and put on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt before serving and while they are still hot (the salt sticks to the oil).




    Mrs. Bruner made these treats as part of a yummy Cuban lunch in honor of Weston's sister, who was celebrating a birthday. The meal included black beans with rice and Cuban pork tenderloin. I NEED those recipes, so I plan on asking her for them ASAP :)

Total Pageviews