Hodge-Podge Curry



    So...it's hard to cook during the week when you've got class from 8am-2pm. Last weekend I decided I'd make one big meal over the week and eat it throughout - that way I get home-cooked food, but I also don't need to take time away from studying to eat it. It can be boring eating the same old thing day in and day out, though. So make something that's absolutely worth it :)

    I haven't made a curry in AGES, so I decided on that. Thanks to a very nice person in my CERT program who drove me to the grocery store, I was able to go shopping for the necessary ingredients.

    Here's what I did:

    To make the curry, it's actually really, really easy. Fry about 1 tsp black peppercorns, cardamon pods, 1 cinnamon stick, some whole cloves, and a bay leaf until the cardamon pods start to puff up. I usually throw the spices into the hot oil and cover with a pot lid, then shake it- that way the hot oil doesn't burn me. Take the spices out of the frying pan when they're done and, in the same oil, saute 1 large onion, thinly sliced, and about 3 cloves of minced garlic. Let these get really crispy looking - this means they are sweeter which is always a delicious thing!

    In a pot, let some coconut milk come to a simmer and add the spices and some yogurt. Then I added a can of garbanzo beans. Meat is expensive, and beans have some great nutrients in them - so this is a great hint. I also put in the leftover chicken I had saved from my stir-fry . You can also add tofu or feta cheese if you want. Let this whole thing cook on low heat for about 1 hour, adding some milk to thin it out as necessary.

    Serve over rice or yogurt.

    The best thing about curry/soup/stew is that it tastes better the longer it sits so by the time I finished my leftovers today, they were 5 x better than when I made the dish on Sunday. Not many food items have this special quality.

    It's Labor Day weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to put up another post later this week!

Total Pageviews