Urban Farmhouse - Local RVA Goodies


    This past week I had the chance to see what all the talk is surrounding Urban Farmhouse. This restaurant/coffee spot proudly serves local, fresh ingredients. I and two friends from the program headed over for lunch to see a friend who was coming in from Norfolk with her husband (we miss you, Christina!).

    Urban Farmhouse is a very relaxing place although it gets quite hot around lunchtime with all the griddles running full-steam. I ordered the Farmer's Grilled Cheese: Gruyere with Truffle oil and found there to be a lot of cheese, which I very much enjoyed. But for $8 it was on the expensive side. I am all about buying local, so maybe I'll check out one of the many RVA Farmer's Markets and pick up some fresh cheese myself and experiment a little. I mean, a little arugula salad dressed with lemon would have elevated the flavor profile nicely - and cut through allll that cheese. The sammies are served with chips, which I really appreciated because I could take them home to munch on later, and 3 spears of carrot, which were a little awkward on the plate, but a welcome addition since I loooove carrots.

    Also at the table we had sandwich orders of: Curry Tuna Salad, Turkey, and one Cubano (I'd suggest heading to KubaKuba if you want the real thing - they use Cuban bread and shave the meats super thin). Another person ordered the beet salad which did look very delicious sprinkled with goat cheese and a light dressing. Although I didn't have the chance to try a beverage, I feel that's where Urban Farmhouse shines: just reading the coffee menu made my mouth water. And they have some pretty amazing brownies, nice and dense with a deep chocolate flavor; stop in around 11:30 for a free sample.


Total Pageviews